Fresh green beans in the pot is one of my favorite dishes, so delicious! And extremely healthy too, do you know why? You sure do, but let me repeat it one time; it mainly consists of vegetables. As a matter of fact, every balanced each dish should consist mainly of vegetables.
To make your life easier, let me tell you a simple trick to incorporate more vegetables in your meals. Start designing a dish from what vegetables you want to eat and how you will cook them (boiled, grilled, stir fry etc.). Then decide on what carbohydrate (potatoes, rice, pasta, bread etc) and protein (lentils, eggs, fish meat etc) sources you will include. As you can see, meat is not the center of the dish (as we normally think), but only a part of it. I applied this golden rule in this dish too. First I decided on the vegetables (green beans with tomato sauce in the pot). Then I added a source of carbohydrates (potatoes) and a source of protein (feta cheese). With this rule in mind, you can control the quality of every meal!
If you want to know the very basics of our metabolic system, and my very best tips for creating a healthy and balanced diet, without restrictions and calorie count, you can participate in our free lesson. Oh yes! We organize a course through for our email subscribers. It lasts 14 days and step by step we will create together a healthier diet for you. Are you in?
Ingredients (3 servings:
- 1 kg of broad fresh green beans
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 juicy tomatoes
- 3 medium potatoes
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh parsley or dried spearmint
- Start by cleaning the beans, cut the top and bottom end of all of them. Then break them in half and try to separate the two pieces. If the sides are joined by a "white hair", you must take this off too. Run a potato peeler along the side edges of each bean to remove this "white hair"
- Afterwards, clean the beans with some water and in a pot add with them a little bit of olive oil and water. Close the lid, and steam them in low fire. When they start getting darker, by losing the bright green color, they are ready. Remove them from the fore and discard the liquids of the pot.
- Chop the onion, add it in the bottom of the pot (take aside the beans), add plenty of olive oil and sauté them in low heat. As the onions are sautéed, in a blender mash the tomatoes. When the onion is golden and softer, add the tomato sauce, the chopped garlic cloves, a little water and 3 small potatoes cut into pieces. It is ideal for the liquids to cover 2/3 of the green beans in the pot. Let them to boil over low fire for 30 minutes, and when it is ready (check the potatoes), add chopped fresh parsley or crushed dry spearmint.
- Serve with a large piece of feta cheese on the side. Bo appetite!